How to make German Pork Knuckles (Schweinshaxe)
1. Combine all the ingredients (except the knuckles) into a container and mix well.
2. Place the washed pork knuckles in your container and marinate/brine for 7 days (refrigerate, flipping the knuckles once everyday).
- if 1/2 cup of wine isn't enough, just add enough water to cover half of the knuckles.
3. After 7 days, boil the knuckles (along with the marinade) in water and simmer for 45 minutes (remove the dirty foam as it boils).
4. Refrigerate the boiled knuckles for another day.
5. Bake at gas mark 5 (190ºC, 375ºF) for one hour or until it's nice and crispy.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.
NOTE: Osmosis is a powerful thing, so i wouldn't advise adding too much salt (which is what i did and so it turned into ham).